Qualifications – Education
- Master of Arts (Music), Monash University 1993 – 1996. Thesis topic: “Collits’ Inn: Australia’s First Successful All- Australian Musical Comedy.”
- Graduate Diploma Contemporary Music Technology, LaTrobe University, 1992.
- Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary). University of Melbourne. 1990
- Bachelor of Music (Composition). University of Melbourne, 1986 - 1989
Qualifications - Other
- Senior First Aid (Level 2), Allens Training, Jan 2017
- Certificate 4 in Music, Ausmusic Institute. 2006
- Certificate 4 in Workplace Assessment and Training, Ausmusic Institute, 2006
- Secondary Music Certificate, Kodaly Music Educators Institute of Australia, 2004
- Victorian Institute of Teaching Full Member no. 258508 (1999 - current)
- Victorian Music Teachers Association Full Member (2015 - current)
- Association of Music Educators (1997 - current)
Teaching and Learning Philosophy
I have recently enjoyed teaching mainly primary aged students Performing Arts at Baden Powell College P-9 (Tarneit Campus). What I have discovered is the importance of laying a solid foundation of musical literacy in all the students. I do this by having all the students learn to play an instrument: recorder, ukulele, percussion and keyboard. I have discovered the key to music making is to engage all the senses when learning music, thereby increasing brain function. Students work both individually and collaboratively with others, by setting realistic goals and constantly reflecting on their learning to succeed.
In my classroom, teaching begins with developing an authentic understanding of all the students I teach and understanding the way they learn. Knowing my students allows me to unlock their potential, and create differentiated learning tasks to suit student’s abilities. As students develop their skills, they develop resilience and confidence, knowing that trying their best is often more important than the result they attain.
Ongoing Music Teaching Experience:
- Classroom Music Teacher, Instrumental Music Coordinator, Director of Music Sunbury Downs College, Sunbury (Jan 2003 – April 2014)
Subjects and Year Levels taught:
- Year 7 – VCE Music (Performance)
- VCAL Literacy (Years 11 and 12)
Contract Music Teaching Experience
- Baden Powell College, Tarneit, April 2017 – October 2018. Performing Arts Teacher.
- Penola Catholic College, Glenroy(July - December 2015): Instrumental Music Coordinator, House Leader, Homeroom Teacher, Year 7 and 8 Music Teacher, Year 7 and 8 ensemble director
Casual Relief Music Teaching Experience
- Inner Melbourne VET Cluster, Sth Melbourne, VCAL Foundation Unit 1, April - May 2019
- MacKillop College, Werribee, March 2015 – current
- Emmanuel College, St Pauls Campus, May 2015 – March 2017
- Penola Catholic College, Glenroy (October 2014 – June 2015): Year 7 and 8 Music Teacher, Year 7 ensembles, Year 8 Music Technology
- St Bernard’s College, Essendon (April 2014 – March 2015): Year 7 Music, Year 8 Music, Year 9 Elective Music, Year 7 Concert Band ensemble, Year 8 Concert band ensemble.
- Manor Lakes P-12 College, Wyndham Vale, Werribee (April 2015): Year 9, Year 10 Music, VCE VET Music Performance CERT 3
- Warringa Park College, Hoppers Crossing (August – December 2014): VCAL Years 11 and 12: Personal Development, Numeracy
Instrumental Music Teaching Experience:
- JonosMusic (Founder and Director):Instrumental Music Tuition (October 2014 – present).
- Instruments taught: piano (and keyboard), guitar.
- AMEB examinations completed: Preliminary to Grade 8
- Styles taught: classical through to jazz and contemporary.
- Subjects taught: VCE Music Performance Units 3 and 4 as private provider
- Alamanda College: (drums and piano) 2019
- Emmanuel College:Piano and Voice tutor (April 2016 – 2017)
- Harrietville Music Camp: Accompanist (January 2011 - 2018)
- Melbourne Youth Music Summer Music Camp: Percussion Tutor (2008, 2009, 2010)
Relevant Professional Development
- Mandatory Reporting and Other Obligations, DET, Nov 2018
- Anaphylaxis e-training, ASCIA and DET, Nov 2018
- Respectful Relationships, Baden Powell College, 2018
- Essential Learnings, Baden Powell College, 2018
- Managing Challenging Behaviors, Baden Powell College, 2018
- Victorian Music Teachers Association (2016 – present)
- Australian Music Teachers Register (2015 - present)
- Association of Music Educators (2001 - present)